This is the perfect recipe for those winter camping days or nights. Nothing better than having comfort food when it is cold outside. My girls love pasta and I tried this when we went camping and it was a hit.
This recipe is very easy and could also be prepared ahead of time before cooking it over the coals. Just place it in your cooler bag and cook it when you get to your camping destination.
This is a great alternative that the usual braai. However if you love your braai meat, this is also a lovely side dish to serve with the braai.
Just make sure your coals are nice and hot before placing the macaroni and cheese on the grid.
Here is the recipe. Go ahead and try it!
Campfire Macaroni and Cheese
Delicious for those winter camping days.
Prep time: 20 min
Cooking time: 15 min
- 2½ cups macaroni
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 400g grated cheddar cheese
- 200g grated mozzarella cheese
- 150g grated parmesan cheese
- 2 packets of cheese sauce or bacon and carbonara sauce
- 8 rashes of bacon (you can also use diced bacon, salami or sliced sausages)
- Salt and pepper
- Foil dish and foil
- Get the fire going and make sure the coals are hot.
- Boil the macaroni (if you have a cast iron pot you can do this on the fire, if not the stove will be ideal). Boil until al dente.
- Slightly cook the bacon using the fire grid or you can place it in the pan.
- Use a large round deep foil dish or rectangular foil roasting dish. Spray the foil dish with Spray and Cook or if you don’t have Spray and Cook you can use butter to grease it.
- Place half of the macaroni in the dish. Sprinkle with some cheese and layer with bacon on top. Then layer with more macaroni and top with the rest of the cheese and bacon.
- Place the cheese sauce powder in a measuring jug and add a little bit of cream to make a paste. Once mixed through add the rest of the cream and milk and whisk well.
- Should there be tiny holes at the bottom of the foil dish, cover the bottom with a piece of foil.
- Pour sauce over the macaroni and cheese.
- Spray the foil that will cover the macaroni and cheese with Spray and Cook or spread with a thin layer of butter. This will help to prevent the cheese sticking to the foil when taking the foil off.
- Make sure that the macaroni is completely covered with foil to prevent ash falling into the macaroni and cheese.
- Place on a grid over the coals and keep your eye on it – you should let it cook for about 15 minutes.