Chilli con carne is such a comforting meal. This chilli con carne recipe has slightly been adapted by my husband and is based on Jamie Oliver’s Recipe. It has become a family favorite and the kids request it often. This spicy dish is delicious and if you want to make it slightly mild for kids to eat – hold on the chillis. A healthy alternative to your usual mince meal. It is a one pot wonder. You can basically serve chilli con carne with a baked potato, nachos, flat bread or rice. Plus compliment it with extra chilli, grated cheese, gaucamole and ranch dressing.
I share with you my husbands chilli con carne recipe and hope you give it a try.
Chilli Con Carne
A spicy Mexican dish best served with a baked potato or nachos.
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1kg lean beef and pork mince
- 4 chopped chillies (deseed if you serving to kids)
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- salt and pepper to season
- ½ bunch fresh corriander
- Place a large non stick pot over a medium heat on the stove. Heat the oil.
- Add chopped onions,carrots, celery, chillies, red peppers, garlic, cumin, cinnamon and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Then add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans and 300ml water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the lean beef mince.
- Cut the coriander stalks and add with the balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 45 minutes with lid slightly adjar.
- Serve on a baked potato, nachos or rice, sprinkle with cheese and chopped coriander.