It’s August and still very much winter in South Africa. Cold weather and staying indoors is still on the cards. And with that being said; my family and I are still craving hearty food.
Remember when I told you that pumpkin is one of my favourite vegetables – well pumpkin has basically been on the menu since the start of winter. From creating snacks, side dishes, mains or baking with it; the possibilities are endless to create mouth-watering recipes. The humble pumpkin is so versatile. Apart from it being delicious; it is packed with so many health benefits.
Anoter favourite of the family is pumpkin fritters. This time around the traditional pumpkin fritter recipe was redefined and I created a new one. I jazzed up the old pumpkin fritter recipe by adding some citrus flavors, spices and pistachios. This citrus and pistachio pumpkin fritters are next level.
Try this recipe and let me know what you think. The citrus and pistachio really brings a different taste combination to these pumpkin fritters.
Citrus and Pistachio Pumpkin Fritters
- frying pan
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (precooked)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground all spice
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ cup pistachio nuts (roasted and chopped)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 xl egg (beaten)
- 1½ tbsp vegetable oil (for frying)
Citrus Glaze Ingredients
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- Chop raw pistachio nuts and roast it in a pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients with pumpkin puree then followed by wet ingredients.
- Add only a ⅓ cup of the pistachio nuts to the mixture.
- Mix through until well combined.
- Add vegetable oil to a frying pan and heat it up.
- Use a small scoop or teaspoon to scoop fritter mixture and place dollops in the hot oil.
- Fry until golden on the one side then flip and fry on the other side.
- Drain on a plate that is lined with kitchen towel.
- Allow to cool.
Citrus Glaze Method
- In a mixing bowl; add icing sugar and orange juice and mix well.
- Once glaze is smooth; drizzle over fritters and sprinkle with leftover pistachio nuts.