It is Spring and the weather is warming up which means braai season is finally here!!
There is nothing more South African than firing up the braai or outdoor cooker and socialising with close friends and family. With the mains always being a form of protein; you need delectable side dishes to compliment it. This delicious Glazed Chipotle Bacon Wrapped Corn is just the answer.
There is no denying that bacon is delicious on its own, but it is also a perfect addition to any braai as it takes whatever you serving to a whole new level of deliciousness. It goes without saying that anything wrapped or topped with bacon comes with an amalgamation of flavours.
Eskort, South Africa’s leading pork manufacturer and home to South Africa’s best loved bacon knows that we South Africans love our bacon. Therefore, they have re-designed and packaged their bacon products. The new eye-catching makeover ensures that it is easily identified by consumers while still maintaining its great job of protecting the iconic crispy, smoky taste of their bacon. The biggest identifier is incorporating primary colours to differentiate between the bacon variants. For this recipe, I used Eskort’s streaky bacon which now comes in red packaging. The quality of Eskort bacon is evident in its taste and I also loved that it held its shape whilst grilling.
The Glazed Chipotle Bacon Wrapped Corn is fairly easy to prepare. The distinct smoky flavour of the bacon, and the stickiness of the sauce keeps the corn juicy.
Serving the Glazed Chipotle Bacon Wrapped Corn at your next braai will give it that appetizing appeal.
A winner every time we entertain and the first edible item that disappears from the table. It is mouth-watering good and your guests will come looking for more.
Glazed Chipotle Bacon Wrapped Corn
- Braai or pizza oven
- braai tongs
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 125 g unsalted butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp chipotle spice
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4 ears corn
- 1 packet Eskort streaky bacon
- Place water and a little salt in a pot and boil the corn for 5 minutes. Remove and let it cool for 2 minutes.
- For the chipotle glaze; add butter, maple syrup, salt, garlic cloves, chipotle spice and cayenne pepper to a sauce pan.
- Place over medium heat, stir and bring to a boil.
- Use a brush and generously baste the corn with the glaze.
- Tightly wrap the bacon around the corn.
- Place in a foil dish and then on the braai grid or pizza oven.
- Turn occasionally until the bacon is crispy but not burnt. The corn should have a slight char.
- Remove from fire and baste slightly with more glaze.