My kids love it when I pack in home baked treats for school. One of those treats are muffins. Whether it is sweet or savory – it is a tasty lunchbox filler. These spicy apple crumble muffins are perfect for school as it is not just delicious but filling too. It also makes a great after school or tea time treat for work or home.
In my opinion, using apples for sweet treats, baked recipes, salads or even savory recipes is always a winner. These muffins also has a good balance of sweet and spicy. Topped with a cinnamon crumble and glaze drizzle.
I hope you enjoy making these spicy apple crumble muffins; just as much as my kids did.
Spicy Apple Crumble Muffins
spicy, soft and fluffy with a cinnamon crumble
Prep time: 15 min
Baking time: 25 min
1 cup cake flour
¾ cup treacle sugar
1tsp ground cinnamon
85g salted butter (melted)
2 cups cake flour
¾ cup light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp salt
½ cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 large eggs
½ cup buttermilk
1½ cups apples (peeled and chopped – I used Royal Gala)
½ cup pecan nuts (chopped)
1 cup icing sugar
3 Tbsp milk cup
1tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line two muffin trays with cupcake liners.
- For the crumble topping; combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Mix through with a fork or spatula until it resembles a crumble texture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl; combine sugar, oil and buttermilk and mix well with a handheld mixer until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and salt. Continue to mix for 2 minutes. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Add apples and pecan nuts and fold into mixture.
- Spoon batter evenly into cupcake liners – filling it half way and top with crumble mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- For the glaze – whisk together icing sugar, milk and vanilla essence.
- Drizzle the glaze over the slightly warm muffins.