When you think mac and cheese you think comfort food and for many of us it elicits pure nostalgia. Food has a way of connecting us with those special happy memories. For me, I associate this Delicious Homemade Custard-Style Mac and Cheese with a happy food memory because this particular recipe was passed down to me by my late mom-in-law . Every time I make this, it elicits nostalgia about how she prepared this with love, the smell that transcended from her kitchen through the house while it baked and how we sat around the table waiting for it to come out of the oven. Followed by the joy of tasting the deliciousness of creamy macaroni smothered with layers of cheese.
Although I stuck to the basics of what my mother-in-law shared with me, I have put my own little spin on it. In my recipe, I add bacon, a combination of herbs, spices and four cheeses. Sometimes I will add mushrooms or broccoli and omit the bacon. That is the beauty of this recipe – you can really make it your own.
Another tip is to cook the pasta al dente as it will continue to cook in the oven. This delicious homemade custard-style mac and cheese is quick and easy to make. It requires no roux, so you don’t have to stress about having a thick and lumpy sauce. Honestly I don’t like slaving away in the kitchen for hours and therefore I love a simple recipe that is fuss-free and produces a meal that is ready to eat in less than an hour.
Here is my family recipe and I hope you create your own little nostalgia with your family.
Delicious Homemade Custard-Style Mac And Cheese
Prep time: 15 min
Baking time: 30 min
500g macaroni or elbow pasta
250g diced bacon
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated mature gouda
¼ cup grated parmesan
4 cups of milk
¼ tsp mustard powder
1 tsp paprika
¼ tsp mixed herbs
¼ tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
Spray and Cook
- In a large pot bring salted water to a boil, add macaroni and cook until just al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- Saute bacon in a pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- For custard – combine milk, eggs, herbs, spices and season well with salt and pepper. Whisk egg and milk mixture well.
- Spray 6 x 10 or 12 cm ramekins with Spray and Cook. You can also use a bigger dish to make one large mac & cheese.
- Divide macaroni into ramekins, layering with bacon, cheese – repeating the layering and top with cheese.
- Pour custard mixture evenly over the macaroni and cheese layering.
- Place the ramekins in a oven roasting dish and pour boiling water around it – preparing it to bake in a baine marie.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the custard has set and the cheese has melted.