This chilli con carne recipe has slightly been adapted by my husband and is based on Jamie Oliver’s Recipe. It has become one of my favourite dishes. This spicy dish is delicious and if you want to make it slightly mild for kids to eat – hold on the chillis. A healthy alternative to your usual mince meal. It is a one pot wonder. Best served with a baked potato or nachos, sprinkle of grated cheese or gaucamole.
Chilli Con Carne
A spicy Mexican dish best served with a baked potato or nachos.
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 600gr lean beef mince
- 4 chopped chillies (deseed if you serving to kids)
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- salt and pepper to season
- ½ bunch fresh corriander
- Place a large non stick pot over a medium heat on the stove. Heat the oil.
- Add chopped onions,carrots, celery, chillies, red peppers, garlic, cumin, cinnamon and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Then add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans and 300ml water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the lean beef mince.
- Cut the coriander stalks and add with the balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 45 minutes with lid slightly adjar.
- Serve on a baked potato, nachos or rice, sprinkle with cheese and chopped coriander.