Winter is a time for comfort foods and there is nothing more delectable than having a warm dessert. My mom’s creamy sago pudding is definitely a winter favourite. Served with custard this winter dessert is on my list of comforting desserts along with chocolate, bread and butter, apple crumble, sticky toffee and ginger pudding.
There are many variants of making sago pudding but my mom’s recipe requires no baking. This recipe is super easy to make. My mom shared this recipe with me and now I’m delighted to share it with you.
Find recipe below.
Creamy Sago Pudding
A creamy no bake sago pudding best served with warm custard.
Prep time: This recipe requires the sago pearls to be soaked either overnight or 2 hours before cooking
Cooking time: 45 min
- 1 cup Sago pearls
- 1 Litre full cream milk
- 160ml Sugar
- 50ml butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 5ml ground cinnamon
- 2ml ground nutmeg
- 5ml vanilla essence
- Soak sago pearls in milk making sure that the milk covers the sago. (Overnight or 2 hours before)
- Place sago and milk mixture in a sauce pan on the stove.
- Add sugar, 5 egg yolks, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir continuously for 20 minutes by adding milk all the time. Making sure the mixture is not stiff.
- Cook until sago is transparent.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla essence.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and add to the sago mixture.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with nutmeg.